DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY
Welcome to Department of Botany
Botany Department was established in 1965.Earlier it was under Biology Department. After the establishment of Science College, the post graduation in botany started in 1974 due to sincere efforts of Prof. R.M. Patel, the doyen of the department. First batch of students passed out in 1976.Till date 43 batches have successfully completed their post graduation degree and almost every year about 5-6 students secured place in the merit list of the D.A.V.V. In 1989 D.A.V.V. recognised the department as Research Centre of Botany with the registration of first student as Ph.D. scholar under the supervision of Dr. C.M. Solanki, Retd. Head of the department. Since then more than 45 scholars have completed their research and have been awarded Ph.D. under the supervision of Dr. C.M. Solanki,Dr. O.P. Joshi,Dr. Jaishree Sikka,Dr. Sudip Ray and Dr. Madhavi Adhav of this college and a few others from different colleges of DAVV.
About the Department:-
During last 45 years the Department has provided facilities in research of high order both in quality and quantity. The Department has a cluster of eminent teachers and researchers whose contribution deserves reverential acknowledgement. There are well furnished and well equipped laboratories for undergraduate and post graduate classes.
The Museum of the department was set by Prof. R.M. Patel. Subsequently Prof. R.P. Shah and Dr. C.M. Solanki carried out the upgradation of the museum. The Department has well maintained Herbarium and Botanical Garden with unique and rare plants including plants of medicinal value.
There is a Departmental library for postgraduate and research students, which has 726 text and reference books along with science magazines and journals. It helps in providing the latest information about the subject.
Dr. J. Sikka, Dr. S. Ray and Dr. M. Adhav are recognized as Ph.D. supervisors in D.A.V.V. Indore. There are about 05 students working for Ph.D. research work under their guidance. Dr. S. Ray appointed as an examiner for evaluating Ph.D. thesis. The faculty has been actively involved in restructuring the university syllabus. Dr. S.Ray and Dr. J. Sikka are member, board of studies in Holkar Science College and Kasturba Gram Girls College.
The Department has organized seminars and workshops from time to time for the upgradation of faculty members. To name a few-
- Regional seminar on “Sports and Environment” funded by UGC Regional office, Bhopal.
- National seminar on “Assessment, Conservation and Managment of Threatened flowering plants” Sponsored by UGC CRO Bhopal and Shri Gujarati Samaj, Indore.
- Workshop on Ässessment of threatened medicinal and economically important plants of Malwa ecoregion sponsored by M.P. state Biodiversity Board, Bhopal.
Botany department has taken initiative in the revision of syllabus at post graduate level. The department has also prepared a guideline of approx. 30 practicals for undergraduate students. Department provides platform to eminent teachers, researchers, workers and P.G. students for the academic discussion to enrich latest knowledge in the field.
Keeping in view the fast changing scenario of the world the department has taken few steps for the benefit of the students which include lectures of renowned professors and subject experts on important topic related with the syllabus, seminar by the students and presentations on various topic followed by discussion. “Parent Teacher Association” meeting are held at post graduate level for developing better understanding with students. The department provides enough material to P.G. students in the form of charts and diagrams along with the comments. The faculty uses latest teaching technique such as LCD and PPT presentations for P.G. students. Regular Tutorials are also arranged for upgradation of weak students. The department of Botany organizes local as well as outside botanical excursion for M.Sc. student regularly.
The department has also an “Old student Alumni” which organizes various academic activities time to time.
The existing status of the department is the outcome of the effort, devotion and attachment of each and every members of the staff. In last years many eminent teachers like Prof. P. Marathe, Dr. O.P. Joshi, Dr. S. Nagar, Prof. A. Bhatnagar, Prof. H.K. Jain and Prof. N. Warang have given their valuable contribution and retired leaving behind many pleasant memories.
Various courses run by the Department of Botany
- M.Sc. with intake capacity of 30 students.
- B.Sc. with intake capacity of 440 students.
The faculty members already working on projects and doing research in the Following fields:
- Bioinformatics ,
- Plant Physiology
Number of Students awarded Ph.D.: 45
Botany- Results of PG & UG Classes
- Results (December-2019):
M.Sc.-IV sem- 71.43 %
M.Sc.-I sem- 100 %
- B.Sc. Final Results (June-2019)
Biology- 31.94 %
Biotechnology- 20.00 %
Dr. Jaishree Sikka
Designation:- Assistant Professor and Head of the department
Educational Qualification:- M.Sc.(Botany), Ph.D.
Teaching Experience: – 37 Years
- i) Research area :- Ecology, Environmental biology, Taxonomy
- ii) of Research paper published:- (National/International) 30
- iii) Recognized as Ph.D. supervisor
- iv) of Students awarded Ph.D.:- 05
- v) of Students registered for Ph.D.:- 02
- vi) Seminars/conference/workshops attended :-National-40,International-06
- vii) Webinars:-03
- viii) Online short term course:-01
- ix) Research Projects:-04 Projects completed (Minor project)—funding agency UGC.
- x) Books published: – 1. “Prayogic Nirdeshika”-Botany for B.Sc. II Year
- Chapter in Science Text book of class VI-NCRT
- Three books for adult education in Hindi (SRC)-
- i) “Suraj kaa kamal”(Hindi)
- ii) “Koore-kachre se sona”(Hindi)
iii) “Kachre kaa Nipatara”(Hindi)
- xi) Achievements:-
- Secured 1st position in M.Sc. (Botany) in order of ment,Vikram University,Ujjain.
- Young Scientist Award in MP Science Congress, Bhopal, 1986
- “Jan Vigyan Mitra Sammaan”.-Vigyan sabha, Indore.(1995).
- Smt. Ramibai Nahta Smruti Puraskar (1999).
- Nominated in the Interview Board of DRC in Botany for interviewing candidates for admission in Ph.D., 2015.
- Member Board of Studies-Kasturbaa Kanya Mahavidyalaya, Indore (2015-17,2017-19).
- 2004-06, member, Board of studies Botany MJB Govt. Girls P.G. College, Indore 2012-2014.
- Organizing secretary -Regional seminar on sports and Environment (2009).
- Co-chaired a session in International conference ERGECI-2017, sponcered by M.P. council of Science and Technology.
- Delivered lectures as resource person in various refresher courses organized by DAVV, Indore.
- Judged various science model, slogan, drawing competitions organized by CBSE school and M.P. pollution control Board.
- Chaired a session in workshop on “Effect of Air pollution on Health & Environment and strategies of Air pollution control”. Organized by M.P. Pollution control board on 16th Jan, 2020.
- Invited online lecture on “Biodiversity “in World Environment week, organized by Jimmy Mc Gilligan centre for sustainable development, Indore. On 4th June, 2020.
- Delivered lecture on “Forest and its Importance” as resource person in a 6 days online workshop organized, Indore.
- Member college Governing Board:- 2000-2002
- Convener-various committees of college including-Women’s redressal library, cultural and other academic activities.
- Biodata published in “Directory of development journalist for two year (2000 & 2002)
- Worked as resource person for NGO-Eklavya from 1989-2015.
- Chaired scientific & technical session in various seminars & conferences.
- Writer of popular science articles in various news papers and science magazines.
- Delivered several radio talks on Environment at All India Radio,Indore.
Dr. Sudip Ray
Designation: – Assistant Professor
Educational Qualification: – M.Sc. (Botany), Ph.D, FAPT
Teaching Experience: – 27 Years
- Research area:-Angiosperm Taxonomy,,Biodiversity, Phytochemistry,Ethnobotany.
- of Research paper published :- (National/International) -55
- Recognized as Ph.D. supervisor in D.A.V.V., Indore (2001)and Co-supervisor in Vikram
- of Students awarded Ph.D.:- 07
- of Students registered for Ph.D.:- 01
- Seminars attended-National/International:-23
- Online short term course-02
- Research Projects:-Completed one Major Research Project sponsored by M.P. state
Biodiversity Board, Bhopal and 03 Minor research project sponsored by
- Books published: – 12
- Aid to systematic Botany-S.Nagar and S.Ray
- Cell Biology Genetics for B.Sc. Sem-II- S.Ray and M.Kachhawa.
3.10, Book series for B.Sc. students published by Yashraj Publication.
4 International publication: Contributed chapter “The indogangetic region and central Ïndia in book”. Ethnobotany of India vol-5 by published by
Apple Academic, Press USA.
- Secured 7th position in M.Sc. (Botany) in order of merit,D.A.V.V.
- Nominated member,Board of studies in Microbiology,Holkar Science College,Indore.
- Nominated as Co-ordinator,Malwa Eco region by M.P. state Biodiversity Board,Bhopal.
- Nominated in the interview Board of DRC in Botany for interviewing candidate for admission in Ph.D. Botany,2015.
- Appointed as visiting Professor in the Dept. of Botany, Shri Shivaji Arts ,Science and Commerce College, Akola, Maharashtra.
- Chief guest in virtual celebration of Forest conservation day on 23rd July,2020 organised by Shri Shivaji College of Arts ,Commerce and science college,Akola,Maharashtra.
- Nominated Taxonomy expert to study 8 districts of Malwa, Nimar regions by M.P. state Biodiversity Board.
- Evaluated Ph.D. thesis of 9 students in different universities and conducted Ph.D. viva of 3 Ph.D. students.
- Delivered lecture as a Resource person in Ph.D. course work in Botany conducted by School of life science, D.A.V.V. in 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Worked as Master trainer and communication officer in MP assembly election 2008, Nagar nigam ,Panchayat , Indian parliament election- 2014,2019 MP Assembly election,2018 and Census,2011
- Included name in Directory of Indian association of Angiosperm Taxonomy,Calicut
- Participated in 10 days training programme on “Herbarium techniques. “Conducted by NISCAIR, New Delhi.
- Completed workshop on Phytochemical techniques and plant tissue culture from 9th Jan to 23rd Jan,2005 conducted by centre for Advanced studies in Botany, Madras University, Chennai .
- Completed 10 training programme on Human rights and duties education sponsored by UGC, conducted by School of Law, DAVV, Indore.
- Advisory committee member in National seminar in 2017 organised by Shivaji Arts & Science College, Akola, Maharashtra.
- Advisory committee member in National seminar in 2019 organised by Arts, commerce and science college,Bodwad,Jalgaon,Maharashtra
- Invited for guest lecture in National seminar and workshop.
- Organising secretary in National seminar sponsored by UGC and regional workshop sponsored by M.P. state Biodiversity, Board.
- Appointed as committee members by D.A.V.V. for enlisting flora of DAVV campus.
- Member Governing Body, P.M.B. Gujarati Science College, Indore.
- Convener of various committee of college including UGC,Sports,Mission Green,Co Convener –Admission committee, Member in anti ragging committee
- Life member of Indian Association of Angiosperm, Taxonomy (IAAT) Calicut Dehradun, Indian association of plant Taxonomy and Indian ethno botanical society, Lucknow.
- Co-chaired a session in International conference ERGECI-2017, sponsored by M.P. council of Science and Technology.
- As a judge in science exhibition and judged various science model.
- Delivered lecture on “Habitat destruction and aspect of their conservation ” as a resource person in Biodiversity day celebration organised by Indore forest division at Indore collectorate
- Completed online 7 days course on Bioinformatics
- Worked as Team manager of Volleyball team of DAVV in Inter university valleball competition.
Dr. Madhavi Adhav
Designation:- Assistant Professor
Educational Qualification:- M.Sc.(Botany) , Ph.D
Teaching Experience: – 23 Years
- i) Research area :-Phytochemistry,Microbiology.
- ii) of Research paper published:- 23
- iii) Recognized as Ph.D. supervisor
- iv) of Students awarded Ph.D.:- 01
- v) of students submitted thesis-o1
- vi) Research Projects:-completed two Minor Research Projects, sponsored by UGC,Bhopal.
- vii) Seminar/Conference/ Work shop-21
- viii) Webinars-10
- ix) Online short term course-03
- x) Books published: – 02
Books published: – 02
Chapter in books-06 1. “Practical Biotechnology & Plant Tissue Culture. (2009)
- Chand publication-S.Nagar & M. Adhav.
- Cytogenetic & Molecular Biology. Agrobios (India) 2013-
S.Nagar & M.Adhav.
- Gold Medalist awarded by Shri RC Jall charity trust in 1995 for securing first position in M.Sc. Botany order of Merit .
- Best oral presentation with cash award in “National Symposium on Frontiers in plant science” (Sponsored by UGC-SAP-II) Osmania University, Hyderabad. (2001).
- Convener in various committees of college.
Dr. Smita Shrivastava
Designation:- Assistant Professor
Educational Qualification: – M.Sc. (Botany), Ph.D
Teaching Experience: – 11 Years
- Research area:-Ecology.
- of Research paper published:- 08
- Seminar-Two International /three national
- Webinars-10 attended.
Dr. Preeti Parashar
Designation:- Assistant Professor
Teaching Experience: – 10 Years
Educational Qualification:- M.Sc.(Botany) , M.Phil, B.Ed., D.M.L.S., Ph.D.
- Research area:-Ethnobotany,Ethnoveternary,Phytochemistry,Microbiology.
- of Research paper published:- 10
- Seminar/Conference/ Work shop-20
- Online short term course-03
- Secured II position in M.Sc. Botany in DAVV.
- 3days training programme attend for smart girl workshop by D.A.V.V.
- Convener Smart girl workshop.
- Member in different committees of college.
- Invited as judge in Junior Vigyan mela by Sahodya group.
The Botany Department has 3 Lab Technicians and 4 Lab Attendant
Lab Technicians:- Lab Attendant:-
Ms. Krishna Joshi Shri Sandip Patil
Smt. Suchitra Dev Smt. Jyotsana Dhamelia
Smt. Lata Shah Smt. Bharti Jadhav
Shri Manoj Yadav